Wow! What a morning! The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure was held on Halloween weekend, making a festive occasion even more fun. I joined the team from Sophia's preschool, and got to add my mom's name, as a 13-yr cancer survivor, to our team's t-shirts. Each race paticipant was asked to wear a placard displaying the name(s) of the women you were walking to support. It was inspiring to see how many supporters were out there on this fall morning supporting so many breast cancer patients or survivors! My training and race partner, Anne Mautner and I walked the 5K as a great practice for the St. Jude Half Marathon that we're training for in December. After the race, we both volunteered as subjects in a genetic study called "Spit for the Cure". All I can say is Wow! What a moving experience!
Today, there are more than two million breast cancer survivors alive in the United States, and we're thankful that Mom is one of them! Breast cancer is being found earlier due to increased awareness and greater use of screening tests and well as better treatment options. Get your mammogram!
No comments:
Post a Comment