Sunday, July 10, 2011

Suger Ray, the Rooster



What would life on a ranch be without a rooster? Triple Creek Ranch has a rooster named Sugar Ray who has a huge personality and takes his job VERY SERIOUSLY. Or maybe he fears no one else takes his job very seriously- so he has to repeat himself? For whatever his reasons are, Sugar Ray begins announcing the day around 4:30 AM each day—and continues cock-a-doodle-dooing until about 8:30 AM! I mean hundreds of cock-a-doodles. It doesn’t make for a restful morning. By the third morning that I was there, after Jimmy and Uncle Charles got up and went fishing, I laid in bed and the scientist in me started timing how often this crazy rooster crows. I can report with certainty that he crows a median of every 17 seconds, with a range of every 11 seconds to every 24 seconds. All morning! Michaela started heckling him—“OK, Sugar Ray, we heard you the first time! We’re up already!”
Once he gets his ranch hands up, Sugar Ray is very personable and follows his people around the barnyard. He wants to know what’s going on and be in the middle of the action. He would be very endearing- if only we could reset his clock a little!

No comments:

Post a Comment